Friday 20 January 2012

Justice - Judges undertaking serious transgressions ignoring consistent experience

Is it just me or is there something seriously wrong with our justice system, I saw three cases on the news on the 19th January and I could not believe what I was hearing. I will explain the three cases briefly and then put the sentences applied in each case without saying which sentence applies to each case, lets see if you can guess which sentence goes with each case. I will add some empty lines to the blog and then put the correct answers below these. I think you will be surprised, no shocked at the results and this is no joke these are all real cases.

Case 1

A woman left her six year old child on her own for 5-6 days (two conflicting reports not sure of exact detail), she left her with a few bags of crisps and the television on, no heating was left on and no proper food was left. Now this child is six, I don’t know how many six year olds you know but all the ones I do I would not leave them alone for 10 minutes never mind 5 days, the only reason this crime was discovered was because the child was so scared and cold oh and hungry she went seeking help from a neighbour. Now there were further gruesome facts in this case which I don’t think I need to explore as the one fact should be enough to work out a sensible sentence.

Case 2

A police officer was found guilty of having sex with a prostitute whilst on duty. Now there are other factors here, one the report does not say if he paid! To be fair I am not sure I care, also the report did not say he raped the prostitute so I am gonna guess it was consensual as I am sure if there was more to make this guy look bad the media would have exploited it. They did however say he had used his position to manipulate venerable women.

Case 3

A couple were on their way home after a night out and three young men were vandalising bins, the man asked the men what they were doing, they then attacked the man kicking and punching him unconscious and pretty much leaving him for dead in the street, he had several broken bones a broken jaw and other injuries. He was in hospital for weeks after the attack.

Punishment 1 - Walked free

Punishment 2 – 18 Months in prison

Punishment 3 – 30 months in prison

Now I know what you are thinking, how could one of the punishments be walks free? Any way answers below.













Answers

Case 1 – punishment 2

Case 2 – Punishment 3

Case 3 – Punishment 1

Now is it just me or does this not seem fair, I think the justice system needs to seriously look at itself and sort out some consistency, I am aware that each case is different but I think we need a more consistent approach when handing out sentences.

Please let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment